Image Map

Monday, September 24, 2012

Parts of a Plant

We have been learning about plants in science, so of course I had to have my students create their own flower and label the parts of the plant. I have been doing this activity since forever.  They created the flower by gluing cut up pieces of crepe paper into the center of the plate and then gluing a different color around the edge of the plate. Next they punched a hole in the plate and attached the chenille stem (I forgot to get the green chenille stems so I just used brown or yellow), then added the leaves, and placed the roots (tan yarn) at the bottom of the chenille stem. To differentiate instruction I had my advanced students make their own labels and my struggling learners were given the labels already printed. They loved doing this activity.  My student teacher (Elizabeth Walker) created this cute display of the students flowers.




I'll be back tomorrow to share more information on our plant unit and some of the fun activities we are doing.  We will learn about seeds today and plant our seeds in a bag later this week. What are some of the fun things you do to learn about plants? Have a Marvelous Monday.

4 comments:

  1. Too cute Crystal! I sometimes miss the cute crafts I used to do with my firsties...:) The plant unit was always fun! Have a great week!

    Vicky
    Keep Calm & Imagine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vicky,
      I love the "plant" unit and "the sun and moon" unit!! Hope you have a great week too!!

      Delete
  2. What a fabulous way to learn the parts of a flower-and a cute bulletin board to boot! How perfect! Thanks for sharing :)

    ~Christy & Tammy
    Fluttering Through First Grade

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christy & Tammy,
      Thanks for stopping by! My students are really enjoying studying plants! : )

      Delete